The Olympics!!! Can I just say that I adore them! I love them, I hold my breath looking forward to them. I think I can blame my dislike of odd numbers to the fact that those are the years that there are not the Olympics.
My freshman year of college my brilliant mother got the most lovely idea. Let's go to the Olympics. I had been to the Los Angeles summer Olympics in 1984 but being a toddler did not get much out of the water polo game we watched at my mother's law school Pepperdine. Or the horse even we also went to. I did however go on to play water polo in high school and coach some in college. So it had a positive influence on me after all.
My mom's idea was also not much of a crazy idea seeing as I was attending Brigham Young University in Provo Utah and the Olympics were going to be the following year in Salt Lake City, Utah. With events held in cities all around, including Provo, Park City, Ogden, Jordan etc. So we did. My mom read that you apply for the tickets but it is a lottery based system so you don't get all the tickets which you apply for. My mother figured since I had a local address I might be chosen to get the tickets. So my first week of school I sat with my roommate, dear sweet Jenn #3 (who I have totally lost touch with aren't I horrible, I feel horrible about that Jen 1 and 2 I have kept up with, yet third I didn't) and she helped me write a check for a huge amount of money. My mom and I applied for two packages that included either the opening or the closing ceremonies, ice skating couples, cross county skiing, ice hockey, speed stating, alpine skiing, ski jumping, the luge, and bobsledding. Those are the ones I remember. They also included tickets to the medal ceremonies which were fun and freezing, like an out door concert in winter.
Knowing that I would practically miss two weeks of school to attend all this amazingness, I studied really really hard January and got all my papers done ahead of time. Ironically, it was one of my better semesters at school.
Long story short we won all the tickets. We got them all. My mother doesn't keep may secrets from my father, but how much we spent on the winter Olympics remained a secret for a while, most likely until we were planning my wedding reception three years later.
Amazing. It was a once in a life time experience we took and took full advantage of. It was a page in my life's book that I get to look back on with so much fondness and I can revisit every four years with the winter Olympics as it is hosted in cities around the world.
More on my Olympic
memories later...
Kids are feeling better! hurray for an end to waking up every other hour with feverish kids. Jackson has really enjoyed having Lillian home these past three days from school. She builds him amazing train tracks, sadly they are all over my kitchen dinning room and so we all trip over them constantly.
We had the sister missionaries over last night as well as a couple they are teaching. When Steven volunteered our home- I thought he was being silly he works till 10, no way that would work. He promised me he would be home early, so to me it sounded like a win win. Then the kids got sick and I thought no way. again (I am so supportive arent it?) Steven pointed out that they weren't coming over for food we just need our front sitting room picked up. Which is do able, I just through all the toys in a cute basket I got from home goods and tada the room is clean. Sometimes I get fancy and wash the hand prints off the tv and window. Not often.
The lesson went really well, we taught about the commandments. Elliott, who was peeking out of his room when they knocked on the door at 7:30, came out for a few minute and felt the amazing spirit that the missionaries brought into our home. The Holy Ghost was very strong as we taught, shared our testimonies and visited together. Keeping the commandments of our Lord has brought me peace, happiness and safety into my life. It also has protected me from addictions, sorrow and heartaches. I am glad Steven did not let me talk myself out of having them over. I am also glad that the rest of my house is not visible from the fount room. :-) During their visit Lillian woke up once and Jackson twice. Poor kids. I can tell they are on the mend but they are still too sick to go anywhere with and starting to get cabin fever (which I currently have crazy like!!)
We danced to our cd of frozen. Lillian insists on having her hair braided like 'let it go'. At first I only could put her hair in a pony tail and braid that. Now I am getting a little better on french braiding it. She of course pulls it out minutes later, so I have to re-braid it. I don't mind, if she is getting her hair braided she isn't fighting with her brothers or making a mess :-) The only thing I miss about my long hair (I cut 9 inches two weeks ago) is putting it in a braid. I can only french braid my own hair, funny huh? I am learning on miss Lil. It often is curvy but she pulls it out in minutes so practice will make it better.
We also colored, cut, glued paper today, had a picnic inside, watched Olympics, cheered for the mogal skiers, played with shaving cream and food coloring (outside), played with warm soapy water outside (Lillian insisted on her swimsuit for that one) took baths, watched Cinderella III, washed and changed my sheets, did dishes with lots of helpers, picked up Elliott and friend at school dropped them off for play dates at another friends house, had mini english muffin pizzas for dinner, ate a bag of kettle corn and watched more OLYMPICS.
1 comment:
I was a volunteer for those Olympics working with visiting government officials and went to a ton of events too! I have always loved the Olympics, but the winter ones are very special to me too because I got to be a part of them. I hope my kids love hem too!
Post a Comment