Monday, October 6, 2014

Soccer-- Lillian

As a mom Lillian playing soccer was very important to me.  Our AYSO league has a free special super star team for kids with disabilities.  I called the coaches and talked to them.  They were really excited but also warned me Lillian would most likely be one of the higher functioning players.  In the end we decided to sign Lillian up for the regular team.  I knew it would be very difficult for her.  The girl never wears shoes, cleats and shin guards that alone would drive her crazy.

Week one-

Was as bad as I expected.  She cried and cried and tried to pull of her shoes.  Her age plays a jamboree league where the parents practice with the kids for the first 35 minutes then they kids scrimmage the last while.  Most kids were having a difficult time, several others would not leave their mom's sides.  Which made me feel a little better.


peep talk from Dad


Week 2

Steven was out of town and I did it all on my own!  Luckily we had purchased the rodger pen, a microphone that goes strait to Lillian's hearing aids.  It cancels out a lot of the back ground noise and has been a huge blessing.  Its like I am a voice in her head.  I really wish my boys could have something similar.  I prepared like crazy.  We talked about soccer, we had our friends practice with us midweek.  Saturday we put on her soccer gear without tears.  She did several of the drills with her team.  I was so excited. 

She was done by the time the scrimmage came around but I couldn't blame her.  My friend Inga took these photos as proof for Steven that Lillian participated. :-)



Week 4  

The entire group warmed up together.... over 30 girls.  Lillian wouldn't go near it.  Had a huge fit.  Nana had came to watch so we made the best of what we could and  played on an empty field together.  When it came it the scrimmage she played... sort of.  I had to bribe her, no candy on your ice cream (frozen yogurt) If you don't play.  She sat and cried and pouted for a while, I kept reexplaining my threat of no candy.  Finally she jumped up and grabbed Elliott's hand.  They ran into the game together.  The coach was super super nice and would throw the ball directly in front of Lillian so she could kick it.  Elliott stayed out on the field with her.  She actually got into running around with her teammates.  Cutest moments and memories.























After wards we went to Frozen yogurt  with candy to celebrate.  

Week 5

I took Lillian for make up picture day this day...  We skipped the actually picture day because they were going to take a group shot with all 35 girls.  Lillian would have completely lost it, so being the smart protective parent I am -we skipped it.  You have to pick your battles.

For the make up photos, it was Lillian and I in line behind a boy, whose whole team suddenly showed up and cut in front of us.   Lillian was about ready to totally melt down, so I kindly asked the mother if we could go head.  She seemed upset but kindly let us anyway.  Ironically, they ended up having to let several other kids go ahead because they were still waiting for another teammate to show up. 
I was wearing the microphone so Lillian could hear me and I insisted on accompanying her to the photographer.  They had signs posted all over that parents have to stay behind the ropes.  Not going to happen with me.  She had one picture taken when she was not smiling and kinda pouting but that was the best she was going to do... The photographer kept trying.... look there is my little ponies coming out of the camera.  I had to laugh and thank him for trying.  Lillian just got upset and stuck out her tongue.  We walked over to her soccer practice which had already started.  She totally melted down.  Rolling around screaming.  I made sure she wasn't about to hurt anyone or herself and walked over to the empty goal and started shooting the ball.  I cheered for myself and kept playing.  She eventually walked over and asked "my turn, i play?"  I nodded joyfully at her use of the pronouns we have been working on for a long time.  We played.  She kicked it in the goal and I would run around the goal with airplane arms screaming goal.  She thought it was hilarious and would drop down and roll around laughing.   Screaming "again again".  It was a happy moment, only her and I being super silly.  I let her take off her shoes five minutes early and we went and picked out our snack and were left.  She hopefully has a fun memory of that morning.

We are now half way though the season.  It is turning out to be a lot more work than I thought and I am already nervous about next year.  Do I make her play? Do I ask her if she wants to play?  She already has therapy twice a week and gymnastics.  Have I over scheduled her?  I want her to experience life.   I protect her from situations I know will be over stimulating and too loud.  At the same time I push her and am amazed at what she can do.  She's a good investment.

Meanwhile Jackson is obsessed with soccer.  He can dribble the ball with both feet and loves to practice with us.  He cries when we have to keep him off the field during Lillian's games.

No comments: