August 15 UCLA medical center. This place is crazy busy. Lillian fell asleep on the way there and was not in the best of moods. She wanted nothing to do with the audiologist, phD student and other helper. I got her to do a little of what they wanted. The results were that her hearing was even worst than we had thought. They told us the next appointment we would fit her for hearing aids.
At the appointment desk they told us about the financial part of the hearing aids gave us a thick stack of paper work to read over and then told us our insurance probably would not cover it. Then they asked 'any questions?:-)'
Yes, we had questions, but our minds were still processing the concept that our bright beautiful 2 3/4 year old could not hear much- if any of the spoken language around her. We were a little taken back, its something you have to process. Also we felt pressured into the hearing aids. They did not explain, which we later asked about, the hearing aids are the solution even after we find out why she is not hearing. Every path leads to the use of the aids. Which are quite tiny now and you can pick your color! Lillian will be getting purple and pink!
The next few days were filled with learning everything we could about hearing aids, hearing loss, sign language etc. I was on the phone what seemed like nonstop calling different dr, audiologist, chating on the phone with our infant specialist for what seemed like hours (lillian flooded the bathroom during that conversation opps) and calling my friend and former roommate who is a speech therapist. All three kids were asleep when I talked to her - a mircle- and she put the pieces of the puzzle together for me and put them in terms I could understand. I was so relieved and happy I cried.
I feel so blessed to see the Lords hand in my life. Steven and I were beating ourselves up about not noticing this earlier, but at 2 years old Lillian said plenty of words, she can hear planes really well and follows everything she sees her brother does so we thought she could hear. The timing was in the Lord's hand I can see how it worked out this way. For the next two months Lillian will have a speech therapist come to our house and work with her as part of the early start program. They will set up our meeting with the school district and help enroll her in the preschool program, which ironically all of my friends have their kids on the waiting list for because it is such a great program. She will have three year of preschool and therapy before she goes off to kindergarten. I feel really good about this. I also feel so blessed that I was able to teach school, understand the IEP (individual education plans) for students and feel I will be able to be an advocate for Lillian and other children who need help.
My mom and I also feel strongly that we can use our time (once it is a little more free) to advocate for it to be mandatory for insurance plans to cover hearing aids for children. It can take months to get the aids through state programs and each day is an opportunity lost for the child to develop language skills.
Steven and I felt overwhelmed with choices to make about the hearing aid services. Lillian still had not warmed to the audiologist at UCLA. The appointment really took up most the day, plus with the stressful long drive, clinic like feel and not to mention having to take someone with me each time I go to watch Jackson. We decided to go with a private practice more local.
Lillian's great grandmother is also getting hearing aids at this time. I quizzed her audiologist and also meet with the audiologist recommend by our early start specialist. So grateful to have some many choices. The more people I talk to the more I figure out. Plus I was so relieved to know that they have great insurance policies. I thought every time she lost, chewed on, went swimming with them in we would be out $$$$ of money. Now I know that's not the case and they are water proof! A huge relief as she loves to turn on the hose or start the bath and hope in on her own while I am trying to take care of the baby.
In the long run, she is the same beautiful, healthy, strong and smart girl we have always loved. Now we just know the occasionally disagreement we get into is due to frustration she must feel with us is because she does not understand us and visa versa.
We make sure she is looking at us when we are talking to her, we also have started learning and using more sign language. We use a lot of baby signs when the children are little which is a blessing and has helped her a lot. Now we are just increasing them.
I think we went to UCLA hoping to be told everything was okay with Lillians hearing... instead at our next appointment I was told her hearing could be progressively getting worst. I am grateful to have UCLA so close we are going to be going there over the next few months to fine out more about Lillians ears and her hearing.
one of those the two year old is being to quite moments....
luckly she only drew all over herself... it came off
Friday we see the ENT at UCLA, who will order test. Which we will do in the next month to see why she is not hearing and if it will get worst.
2 comments:
Oh Amanda! How stressful! I can't even imagine. I've had crazy, weird things happen with my kids and I know how much stress that can put on you. It's so hard! I hope that everything goes smoothly. It sounds like you have a good plan and good resources and that you did catch it relatively early. You're a great mom. Lillian is so lucky to have you!
Amanda, you amaze me with your optimism and your outlook! I am glad you are able to see all the blessings and the Lord's timing in this. I agree whole-heartedly with Sarah, that you are a great mom and that Lilian is lucky to have you!
Post a Comment