Saturday, May 30, 2015

Bilateral Cochlear Implant Surgery

 What do you do to distract yourself from thinking about the surgery- clearly take the family to Disneyland!

Jackson was tall enough to ride the big kid rides, Soaring and Cars.  So fun to go on with our whole family!



It was a fun pre-surgery day, knowing we would get back late, I had already packed for the hospital.


Some ideas of what to pack to the hospital
-for the patient-
Button up pjs in order to get over the bandages post surgery 
fresh underwear/ diaper
Socks/ slippers
Chap-stick
comfort item (olaf was ours)
really soft pillow for car ride home
Neck travel pillow (see photos)
New toy/ books/ coloring book/ 
entertainment in case you have to wait


For the parent- 

Magazine, books, ipad to distract you
ear phones
phone charger, phone
snacks, water, treats, gum
journal
folder with medical preop papers, blood work etc- good also to put all the paper work you get


To have at home- for later

Over the counter pain meds tylenol/ advil
- I had both liquid and chew-able form
Soft foods- I had read that the kids have a sore thoat from the breathing tube-  It is true-
I had also read that they can be sick to their tummy the first night home from the anesthesia
I avoided milk products that first night.
Apple sauce, pudding, Popsicle, soft bread, gogarts, yogurt, ice cream, canned soup

Juice, chocolate milk, lots of straws.





 The night before surgery I treasured my nightly back patting to get Lillian asleep.

Lillian awoke three times that night, which is normal for her, I put her back in bed and she ended sleeping in until 8 am.
She had a bath while her brothers ate breakfast.  I had frozen apple juice popsicles and clear Gatorade popsicles the night before which she could eat in the bath!  Brilliant idea considering  other popsicles have dyes which could have messed up her tummy later on that day.   Lillian has started learning some sight words.  MY is her favorite.
 Driving to the hospital, we listened to frozen Let it go, over and over again.  I mourned a little knowing that the song might not 'sound' the same to her after surgery.

All smiles while we check in.






Prior to the surgery we meet and nurse who did a mini pre op on Lillian, then a nurse practitioner who did another pre op for the anesthesia.



 Lillian giggling that she wasn't wearing underwear...


 Our second waiting room of the morning.
We were at Children's hospital in Los Angeles and let me tell you how wonderful it was to be at a hospital set up for children.  Everyone was kid friendly, their were great waiting rooms filled with toys, coloring pages, and she got stickers from everyone she meet before she left for surgery.  Very helpful, considering she had not eaten anything since the night before and only had apple juice, clear Gatorade, and sprite until 10 am.  Not once did she say she was hungry or ask for food.  A miracle considering the week leading up to surgery she was starving every five minutes.


Steven and I took turns to slip out and have a granola bar while we were waiting and we had even had breakfast.

They finally called her name.

Waiting for a bigger hospital bed, she did not fit in the crib!


We finally meet with the with the surgeons, Dr. Niparko and his assistant, this totally helped calm me.  We asked last minute questions and they walked us through the surgery.  They also warned us of Lillian's new hair do.  

They gave Lillian liquid medication that totally made her goofy and relaxed.  The nurse called it happy juice, she also mentioned that the parents wished they could have some also.  She was right, we were both pretty nervous at this point.  Lillian laughed hysterically at me raising my eye brows.  
Olaf was given a hair net so he could go in and assist Dr. Niparko. 
  Afterwards, we learned from the nurse we should have gotten the prescription for pain medicine prior to the surgery.   So we could have gotten it filled at the hospital pharmacy,  Many local pharmacy don't stalk pain meds for children.   That said, we haven't gotten it filled.  She woke up every 3 hours the first night and Tylenol or a little food and Advil was fine.  Day two she had a hard time falling asleep because of discomfort of surgery sights.  She's never complained I just see her flinch when she goes to put her head down.   Hoping she is okay tonight.  We took naps today. 

After she took the happy juice we waited another fifteen minutes and then the team came to wheel her away.  We gave kisses, hugs and took off her hearing aids.  We walked away and did not look back as they her down the hallway into the prep rooms.  Both frightened and filled with worry. 


-We went down the stairs and put our bags in the car.  I packed to much, typical me :-) 
Then got a pager so they could contact of us and walked around outside had lunch at some trending Asian fusion hamburger place.  Pretended to act normal.  It was nice to breath fresh air and made the time go a little faster. 


Finally we came back to the waiting waiting room.  They had a tv screen and we had Lillian's id number.  By that point Lillian had been in surgery over an hour and half.  Had to push those thoughts out of my mind.  The receptionist came  over half way though to tell us things were going great.  I distracted myself reading about The duke and duchess new baby Girl, and my book. 



Finally we looked up and Dr. Niparko was standing in front of us holding Olaf.  
It went great, she's upstairs still out.  

Heavenly words to hear.  He had us gather our things and had us move upstairs to another room where we waited until they brought Lillian into the recovery room.   

Our sleeping beauty
She woke up for a few minute with a puzzled look on her face, drank some water and then passed out for another two hours.  
I finally turned on the lights and woke her up, it was time to go home.  She was pretty sleepy and silent.
Changed her into those button down pjs!  (Thanks to Aunt Julie for her super shopping skills)










The travel neck pillow has been a great help!

I'm tired, emotionally and physically but so glad to be heading home!

Slept all the way home...
Crawled into bed when we got home and slept.  Waking up at 12:20 am, 2 am, 3:30-5:30 she woke up and watched a tv show on the ipad no sound, I slept next to her on the trundle bed.  She never cried our whined, just sweet and kind.  She then slept until 7:30am
3:30 am she felt sick, but kept the apple sauce down! yippy.

In the morning watching TV with dad while I napped. 

I woke up and muted the TV, she didn't mind.

Got some smiles out of her!
snuggles also!  She's eaten well today! 


More TV after brothers come home.
Toy deliveries make her happy!


Tomorrow we are to take off her bandages and shower her off.  I am a little nervous, but I am sure she is ready.


Lillian wanted the implants, we read her coloring books from the companies to prepare her.  I explained to her she would not hear for several days and would have a bandage on her head.  The night before I explained to her she could not eat the next day.  I also gave her a bread and honey snack at 11:30 pm when she woke up, just in to get a little more food before the midnight cut off.   The homemade popsicles (which I was totally inspired to make) kept her from mentioning breakfast that morning.

Lillian wanted pink and purple implants.  She looked at going on a grand adventure. A vacation.  She dress up wearing bracelets, rings and a crown that morning.  She came out of it with some good looks on her face, but not one moment of anger or being upset.  In fact early this morning she was looking for her hearing aids so she could go to school.    I love her and are grateful to be able to help her on this journey.

1 comment:

Gram B said...

Thank you for sharing Lillian's adventure.