Thursday, September 26, 2013

Flu survival mood

Having now survived several flu seasons with my children I feel I am some what of an expert.  Hahah no kidding.  That first time your baby throws up you freeze unable to think or understand what is going on as their breakfast-oatmeal is falling all over you and all over the floor.  It's gross, but eventually those parental powers kick in...

Each time it hits our family and each time it takes the rug out from under us....

First signs of sickness.....My kids refuse to eat or complain of backaches.... once I realize what is going on we become a hand washing crazy family and then I would also suggest putting your whole family on the brat diet....

Banana
Rice
Apple sauce
dry toast (sometimes I let some butter and cinnamon sugar on it)

saltine crackers
oyster crackers (discovered this time around and they are a lot less messy!)

Gatorade
Caffeine free coke and regular coke (settles your tummy)
Watered down apple juice(100% apple juice can cause more diarrhea - once again found that out the hard way)
Frozen pediatric (like an otter pop)

7up- not really recommended but its what I had when I was sick growing up-- so I still use it.


I have an extra set of sheets for every bed, which comes in handy.  I also line the side of their beds with towels and keep the through-up bowl near by.  I keep the laundry rolling as needed just in case.

yikes right?  The first time Elliott ever had the flu, I finally understood what my mom meant when she said "I wish I was sick instead of you!"

We get our flu shots each year, which I know had to do with a different illness completely but I like to think it shortens what ever bug we get and keeps us safe.  This summer it hit us hard.  Mostly because Lillian kept sneaking food or I thought gee shes better and would let her eat what she wanted and then... gross all over again.  Now I know no Dairy for 48 hours until the last sign of barf or diarrhea.

Elliott his first year of Preschool ended up in the hospital because the flu had dehydrated him so badly.  Keeping an eye on the number of times they urinate and watching their activity level is key.  Another quick way to tell if your child is getting hydrated is to put a little pressure on their finger with your finger, how quickly does it turn back to the normal color.  If it says yellow and fades really slowly back to the correct color that's a sure sign you should call the doctor.  My doctor showed me that as he was calling the hospital to get Elliott admitted back in 2011.



Children under the age of two you have to watch really closely for signs of dehydrated, they tend to get dehydrated lot quicker than the older ones.  If you are still nursing that's great!  Keep it up!  Jackson just drank water and some diluted apple juice. Lucky for me, when the flu hits my family it doesn't hit the babys really hard.  Jackson just threw up twice in his crib one evening/ early morning.  The same evening I was sick so I didn't realize he was sick till the next morning.  He wanted lots of suggles and naps.  Which was nice because when he slept Lillian need my attention the most.


This year I am so upset because Lillian was mostly potty trained (I still had her in pull ups because I was afraid of accidents.. but she went on her own when she needed to)  After two weeks of not feeling well.... back nada no desire to use the potty.  sigh-  Also it was summer!  We stayed inside under lock and key for the first week of August.  Summer was ending and we were just stuck at home

We watched a LOT of TV.  Back to back to back moves.  I set out blankets and towels and bowls in the front room the kids thought it was great!  I loved how it contained the messes.  Lillian often feel asleep during the shows also.  Here she fell asleep while eating potato chips.  Not on the brat diet I know and so gross and greasy but I was hoping it would clog her up.  Total tmi huh?
 Poor girl!  Now that school has started I wonder what other fun germs will come home.
--  good news we have been healthy now and have been in school for over a month!  Maybe I am glad we got the flu bug over with during summer!

-- Better news Lillian is in Underwear!  Its made my life so much easier I love love love it!  Ive been changing diapers for 6 years and 10 months now.  ieieieie  for two of those years I had two in diapers.  (Ihatepottytraining- it freaks me out)

No comments: