Dehydration.... Last week Elliott woke up from his nap (the fact that he took a nap should have clued me in) SICK... Poor kid had the tummy flu. Here is the short story... Sick all night, dr office, hospital, home, sick again, now 100% better! I wrote out the long version for myself as it was such an emotionally drain on me it felt good to get it out on paper.
Elliott had had a blessing by his father saying he would be brave and full of courage as he recovered. Needless to say starting at midnight that evening and going on every twenty or forty minutes he would call out for "Somebody" to come hold the bowl for him. The "Somebody" turned to "Anybody" around 4 am. Finally I got smart and camped out with him "Make it stop mommy I dont like it". Break my heart. Thursday he slept most the day.
Lillian woke up sick but not as bad as Elliott. She was able to keep food and water down for the most part. I called the dr hoping they would phone in a Rx to my dad(pharmacist) and he could bring it by. They said you need to come in... with two sick kids... YEAH RIGHT!
I said a prayer and felt I need to do everything I could to get him well.
Lucky for me the Dr office called me again to see if I was going to bring Elliott in just as Steven walked in the door at 3 pm. Not his normal coming home time but he listened to me :-) and came home.
I covered the car with towels gave Elliott the bowl and off we went. Walked in the Dr office the receptionist saw us and called for a nurse to take us back. As we walked past the crowded waiting room the nurse handed us another bowl. The dr took one look at Elliott and said you need to take him to the hospital. I was surprisingly calm (considering the RS dinner I was in charge of was that night yeah for having already delegated everything and an amazing committee)!
It was a blessing we had taken Elliott in to the Dr that Monday and they had weighed him. He had lost 4 lbs in three days 8% of his body weight. Poor guy. Our doctor was able to call the hospital so they had a room ready for Elliott on the pediatric ward -same floor as mom and babies :-)- So glad we did not have to take him to the ER!
Elliott was brave and so thirsty but he couldn't keep anything down. After they started the IV the nurse brought me dinner (I waited for him to sleep because I felt so guilty eating in front of him) This hospital has amazing food by the way. We both slept through the night at the hospital great! The next morning the Doctor came by and looked at Elliott, he was hydrated (gee four bags of IV fluid through out the evening did it). However he just laid there... totally out of it. Like he was asleep with his eyes open. It was frighting. He did nap that morning and I took a walk to see the new born babies, which made me very happy! My mom stayed home with Lillian, bless her heart! So I had no worries on the home front.
By the time Steven got off early from work and came over to the hospital Elliott was bouncing off the ceiling. It was amazing how fast he recovered. He was keeping liquids down on his own had discovered he could change all the tv channels at lightning speeds and that his bed moved up and down and back and forth. Oh boy. I was so glad he was better we dumped out my purse to look for things to do... cars, toys, and crayons. Read books and watch movies. All while waiting to check out of the hospital... it took four hours... but then we were home sweet home.
Elliott was sick AGAIN the next day from only having the IV the previous day. Now he is well and yeah!!! I don't know why it hit him so hard, but I am glad that Lillian got off easy and Steven and I stayed healthy.

No comments:
Post a Comment