Sunday, July 27, 2008

Appreciating Utah: Kennecott Copper Mine





Elliott helped navigate the way to the Mine. While I was teaching Utah History to 7th graders a few years ago we learned about different types of mining. I had been to the mine before but got more out of it this time. It is an open pit mine!
To say Elliott loved this would be an understatement. He cried when we started back for the car. We really think he could have stood there and watched the trucks all afternoon. I can't blame him they were huge. Every once and a while a semi-truck would drive by the huge dump trucks and look so small in comparison.

A fun side note, Steven and I have visited this copper mine and the Great Wall of China this summer. These are the only man made things visible from space!!!

3 comments:

Kylee said...

That is so fun! I bet Elliott loved it, because Caden would too! How cool to be at two of the spots visible from space...way to go guys! I can't wait to see you soon!

Wiseguys said...

wow, you guys are quite the world travelers. I've been to the mine, actually, and it's really cool!

Katie said...

Hey Panda bear, I just wanted to let you know how awesome it is to come onto your blog and see your smiling face alongside your husband and son. Can you believe how far we have come in life. Just think, 8 years old, potato trees, the feather mafia, etc etc. We have got to find some time to get together when you come to California. I miss you! Best wishes!