Back from China and over jet lag finally! Steven and I had the wonderful opportunity to visit China for ten days last week. Elliott was able to stay with his grandma and grandpa Hoffman. Great grandmother Lois also came down for the fun. Other than being a picky eater Elliott had the time of his life. He also composed some very humorous emails and sent them to us while we were gone.
We all had a wonderful vacation. Steven and I feel in love with China. At first it was bazaar not being able to fit in at all. People actually came up and took pictures with us because we were such a tall couple. Everyone was so warm and friendly, it was great. Steven used his Chinese language skills he learned on his mission a lot. That made the trip extra special.
We traveled with a tour group because it was cheaper than putting the trip together on our own. We really lucked out that our group was young adults, their parents, college age kids and one young family. Everyone had a great time.
-Food-
The lack in variety of the meals was difficult to get used to. Chinese food for breakfast, lunch and dinner took some getting used too. Also it was the chinese food they thought we would like the best (ie not real Chinese food at some places) after the second day of all the meat and veggies being covered with a sweet and sour sauce I was ready to hit McDs. I realized how spoiled I am that I cook what I feel like eating for dinner. Also how different our breakfast lunch and dinner foods are. When we first came home I was craving spaghetti and Mexican food, we arrived home on Sunday and are going to eat Japanese food to night. Before this we have kindly shyed away from meals with rice. The food did get much better though-after the third day we did take a plane to Xian(home to the Terracotta warriors) there having a dumpling feast and thus no sweet and sour sauces. Shanghai's food was wonderful and spicy. Ice Cream treats and soda was found all over the cities and often times you would see people enjoying some on their way home from school or work. I drank more soda that week then I have in the past five years.
We loved seeing the historical places. Their history is so rich and colorful. It was wonderful to visit the Forbidden city (which is endlessly huge!) with its ancient historical significance and seeing Tiananmen Square across the street with a more modern importance.
2 comments:
Welcome to the blogsphere! Love the photos and can't wait to hear what else you've been up to.
I am so happy you guys have a blog now! Put lots of pictures of Elliott so we can see him grow! I loved all of your pics of China on facebook, and I know what you mean about getting sick of rice. I ate it daily on my mission, but eventually just grew to love it. That was after hitting the "rice wall" where I couldn't think of eating any more. Come visit us in Denver sometime!
Post a Comment