Jackson Markus Alfred (almost 6 months!) entered our family on June 26th weighing in at 9 lbs 2oz, a weight he doubled by four months old. Jackson is our water dragon baby! His smile makes everything seem alright. His laughter makes us laugh. He is loved by his older brother Elliott very much, they play quite well together and enjoy the bond of brotherhood. Jackson is loved by his sister Lillian too much. Yes, apparently that is possible. She wants to change, burp, hold, hug and wake him up at all hours of the day. We have to physically lock him in his room to protect him. She loves to hand him toys and recently learned how to make him laugh. Jack Jack just started sitting up on his own and loves the freedom it gives him to play with toys and watch the world around him. Jackson also started to eat solid food! They grow up so fast!! He is a gift to our family and we enjoy his mellow, easy going sweetness.
Lillian Grace Alfred (3 year) Its been a big year for our miss Lillian. She has become a middle child and big sister at the same time and is enjoying attention from both. Lillian went from having no hair last year to having two hair cuts this year! Her naturally blond curly hair is wash and go and so cute! Her eyes are still the most beautiful shade of periwinkle that seem to sparkle with her abundant energy. Lillian's ears have a new wonderful accessories. This year Lillian went from being our toddler who did not listen, to our preschooler who could not hear. After we came home from the hospital with Jackson, we noticed she could not hear a thing we said. She had a double ear infection. After that cleared, we had her hearing tested and the next months that followed consisted of many appointments and test. The good news is that her hearing aids allow her to hear most spoken language.
Lillian heard Jackson for the first time after getting her hearing aids put on. It was magical. She has doubled her words in just a number of weeks and is understanding more and more of the sounds around her each day. She is in a wonderful preschool through first grade program for deaf and hard of hearing children -that she loves. It's wonderful to hear her say new words. On her birthday she kept saying WOW! Her energy and love of life keep us busy, good busy!
Elliott (6 years old) just brought home his first report card from kindergarten and well we couldn't be more pleased with it. He is as sweet and thoughtful kid. Elliott is loving school and was recently Little Boy Blue in his class play. He enjoyed playing tball this summer and soccer this fall. Steven was able to be the referee for Elliott's soccer games, which was Elliott's favorite part. Elliott has made a lot of new friends and as a reward for doing good deeds, he gets to have them over to play. I find my days are easier when there is a friend over to entertain my kids. Elliott loves Star Wars, Legos, and riding his bike or scooter. We walk him to and from school most days and we all enjoy the time outside. Elliott still does not like chocolate, but his sister and I don't minded that minor character flaw. He started eating meat this past year, in the form of dinosaur chicken nuggets smothered in honey. Elliott's favorite part of his week is doing projects with his dad on Saturday morning.
How Steven does it all it amazes me. He juggles, working 50+ hours a week, a church calling that requires a lot, basketball, surfing, spending time with the kids ( its all hands on deck with three kids,)and still manages to take me (and baby Jackson) out on a date regularly. Steven has been enjoying his job now at Ernst and Young for four years. He is a little higher up on the food chain at work and really thrives under the pressures and responsibility. His main clients are close to home, so we get to enjoy having him home for breakfast and he helps us get out the door most mornings. He plays on a city league basketball team for work and plays basketball with his Elder's quorum weekly. If you see a shinny red paddle board off the coast this holiday season it just might be Steven taking a ride on his birthday present. We love going to the beach and make it a family affair. Golf hasn't had time for Steven much this year, but he is planning a trip out to Augusta this spring with his college buddies. Currently he's looking at sail boats on Craig's list... I'm a little nervous about that.
I'm busy, crazy busy but good crazy busy. I have four pick up and drop offs a day, but friends and family are helping me out so much I am greatly blessed. With Lillian now in school five days a week, I miss my friends at park day but promise to return post holidays. Jackson needs the fresh air :) I get to help out in Elliott's classroom and enjoy seeing the inner workings of his world. I've been trying to get rid of Lillian's nap, but its hard when she starts falling off her seat at dinner because she's so tired. Most nights if she does nap we stay up late watching a Netflix show and wait for Steven to come home. The boys are asleep by 7 pm on most nights.
This past year my mom retired, a few months after Jackson was born, and has been a life saver. Just a phone call away when disaster strikes and I need another set of hands. I was able to take a parenting class this fall taught by my friend's mom. It was a great time to sit down relax and realize the work I'm doing is so important. I also realized that my love language is quality time if I get to spend time with my kids and Steven,then I'm a happy camper and can handle things much better. My mom and Steven help out so I get to spend special quality time with each kid everyday, which means the world to me cause they grow up so so fast and need so much love and attention.
This summer my brother got married in the San Antonio LDS Temple. I'm thrilled and my sister in law is beyond amazing! Now thanks to Steven and Matthew, I've been blessed with two wonderful women I get to call sisters. It was a wonder to see Matthew and his amazing bride in love, true love and young love.
Their love made me reflect on my own young love days.... I did not think it was possible to be more in love, but love grows and deepens in ways I could never had imagined. Working together, helping each other and facing the future has brought us so much closer then I could have imagined possible. We both have seen our Lord's hand in our life so much this year. From the safe arrival of Jackson, to the time of having Lillian's hearing lost diagnosed, and now her having an older and younger brother to play speech therapy with, it is a blessing which we are grateful for. As I sit here watching "How the Grinch Stole Christmas", I am reminded of the quote from the movie, "Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more!"This Christmas season I hope we are able to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas and remember Christ's birth and mission here on this earth. I hope that you all have a wonderful Merry Christmas!!
Love,
The Alfreds
1 comment:
That sounds like a pretty great year!
Post a Comment